Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Grandma's Church

Grandma Hayes would take us to church with her every Sunday morning and evening while we visited in the summer. They didn't have a piano in her church, so we sang without accompaniment. This always bothered me. I need a tune to sing to. Grandma had no troubles singing to no music. She sang songs all the time around the house. Maybe she was singing to the music in her head...

Sometimes when we'd go, we'd sit with Grandma Farmer. She'd get after us for staring at the clock. All we wanted was for time to go by faster, but she thought it wasn't polite to stare.

I remember watching the sacrament being passed. I SO wanted some of that grape juice. And just a pinch of the cracker. Oh well, it's just as well I didn't partake since I wasn't in the right frame of mind.

On Sunday evenings, after the sermon, we'd gather in the baseball field and play softball. This was the only reason I was eager to go to church on Sunday evenings. I loved to play. I had this awesome mitt that was way to big for me, but it was perfect for playing short stop. I could snag a line drive with that mitt like a professional player! Or at least a tall player. It was great; my teammates would cheer, "Great job, son!" Whatever. It was awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a neat little church. I remember it seemed like forever before the preacher would FINALLY get done talking and let us go. I used to think that when they were passing around the collection plate, that they were taking donations to finally get a piano. After about 3 summers of no piano, I figured they wanted a really expensive one.
Do you remember how we would mock the lady telling us what page to turn to in the hymnal. "Page One-Fifty-One...one...five...one." Think she hated us?